Sara Zolnick Presentation

Sara Zolnick – Peta’s Fur Free and Fabulous Ads from Anand Rao on Vimeo.

7 Responses to “Sara Zolnick Presentation”

1. Tori Wong says:

Strengths: Great introduction, you clearly outline your thesis (the effect of celebrity involvement on the anti-fur campaign), rhetorical points, and methods of analysis. Great use of visuals. And your pink shirt matched your slides…awesome.

Areas to improve: Full use of time? I thought your presentation covered some great points. But I would have liked to hear more of your comments on the Michelle Obama fiasco.

2. Jaclyn says:

I think you make a really strong point in how Peta is using celebrities to gain momentum in their campaign against fur. Personally the numbers of animals that need to be slaughtered for one fur coat is beyond sad, especially thinking about how their lives were before as animals in a cage. The radical actions that PETA has taken like putting raps in at a fashion show or photo shoot in paris really illustrates how radical they go. Bit even with all this information being said, I think if you didn’t make the assumption that we all knew about PETA being against fur coats, and instead did a short overview stating when this started, who started it, what was going on what it was started, and even if there was a specific event that triggered it , it would promote and give more foundation to your analysis as a whole.

I just know from a person who is not very familiar with PETA or fur coats, I was able to understand what you were saying and how important this issue is but I still felt like there was more I could have known because I really do not know much on this. Offering information on your topic, explaining it, instead of just summarizing would probably make your analysis presentation much stronger.

The visuals you used sounded like they were really effective, and the issue you raise with PETA and how they handled Michelle Obama with putting her in the ad shows that even though you are all for the movement, that doesnt mean that they are handling everything correctly….you looked at this analysis critically and that makes your voice stronger as a whole.

3. willbennett2012 says:

First of all, I agree with all of the points Tori touched on. I definitely think you could have gotten a lot more of the impact of celebrity presence in these ads out if you had used another couple minute. I’m glad someone did celebrity involvement in environmental campaigns though as it is a prominent method of promotion of these issues. You definitely did a good job breaking down the effectiveness of that method.

4. Val says:

Really great use of visual aids in this presentation, and a great example of an ethos driven campaign. You are confident and maintain eye contact and the presentation has a nice flow to it overall. I think you could have devoted some more time to framing the issue and giving it some historical context. Fur really became popular in the 1980’s as a symbol of wealth and status, and you could talk about how PETA ads first started to combat this issue, and how they arrived at the “Fur-Free and Fabulous” campaign. At the end of the presentation you make a brief mention of an ad featuring Steve-O, I think this would have been good to include in the powerpoint as it would have presented a contrast image to the one with Oprah and Michelle Obama in it, and would have been a good example of ethos when it works, and when it doesn’t. You present some good ideas in the presentation, and had you fleshed them out a bit more I think you might have filled out the time limit better.

5. Kelly Horvath says:

Great presentation focused on the use of ethos in rhetorical analysis. PETA is always an interesting topic because of its radical ideas, and this was an interesting one because we had briefly discussed the issue earlier in the year. I like how you compared this simple, less radical advertisement with the extreme ones such as the Kardashian one. However, I think you could have addressed the issue a little more in order to lengthen the time of your presentation. For example, you could analyze other advertisements that deal with the fur industry rather than just PETA’s and compare them.

6. Kaley Huston says:

Although I liked the image that you presented, I feel like it might have been more effective to use the other, more staged celebrity campaigns, like the Angelina Jolie photo you showed. Then you could have analyzed the movement as a whole and not just a single, seemingly-photoshopped image. I would probably have critiqued the usage of photoshop a little more, but that’s also my personal opinion. You seemed passionate and well-versed in your viewpoints which was great. You are definitely an effective speaker.

7. Stephanie George says:

Your presentation was definitely well prepared and very organized. I also liked that you tied in Aristotle’s view of rhetorical analysis that we had learned about in class before. The one thing I would comment on is your support for the use of Ethos in the ad campaign. You said that the ad gained credibility by using celebrities, but it’s difficult to call it “credibility” when the celebrities didn’t in fact support it on their own accord, or well enough to pose for an actual photo shoot for PETA. I am glad though that you commented on the fact that they didn’t ask Michelle Obama in particular before using her in the campaign.