Mary McClellan Presentation

mary mcclellan presentation from Anand Rao on Vimeo.

7 Responses to “Mary McClellan Presentation”

1. Jaclyn says:

The first commercial you represented as ineffective which I liked because you are giving us a failure in the environmental awareness people are trying to raise. Bringing up the fact that the commercial will probably make the child more emotional about themselves then about the polar bear really says a lot in how well this commercial was thought out.

Second commercial sounded like an interrogation to protect nature instead of showing why they should save the environment. You mention that children usually see grown ups as protectors which shuts down this commercial too.

zThird commercial is clearly or could clearly be misrepresented or could be really misinterpreted by a child.

Other components you mentioned about the commercials with music, using things that are innocent, and you go ahead to critique that these commercials do not give a solution for the problem. No inspiration.

You mention at the end that to fix these commercials you would say what we can do, but would you keep these commercials the same even at the risk of a child misinterpreting it? What in your mind would be a better commercial? Do you think from your research that this proves that global warming should not be commercialized on kid channels simply because the problem is too big for them to understand, or should we go about it a different way? You kind of answer this question be proposing creating an inconvenient truth understandable to children, but would the challenges and devastation illustrated in this film scare the child more than inspire them at young ages?

2. Val says:

You are very confident and seem comfortable in front of the room. Like Jacklyn I like that you offered examples of commercials you thought worked and ones you thought didn’t. While your descriptions of the commercials were well articulated and clear, I think it would have been nice to actually have shown the commercials you were talking about and then offer your analysis.

You talk about the use of music in the commercials, but in this instance it would be much better to show, or rather have us hear, than just to tell. I would have really liked to watch the commercials you were talking about in your presentation. Another angle of analysis to consider would be: should we be appealing to children on an emotional level, in trying to scare them and instill a sense of fear, rather than just educating and calling them to action? I think you could have made several good tie-ins to how the environmental crisis has been structured around this idea of being fearful. Like Tori says in the discussion afterwards, instilling empathy and knowledge might be a better approach when dealing with mass marketing, and inclusion of this argument would have added more depth to your adgument

The discussion questions you came up with were well thought out and prompted some great discussion.

3. Val says:

You talk about the use of music in the commercials, but in this instance it would be much better to show, or rather have us hear, than just to tell. I would have really liked to watch the commercials you were talking about in your presentation. Another angle of analysis to consider would be: should we be appealing to children on an emotional level, in trying to scare them and instill a sense of fear, rather than just educating and calling them to action? I think you could have made several good tie-ins to how the environmental crisis has been structured around this idea of being fearful. Like Tori says in the discussion afterwards, instilling empathy and knowledge might be a better approach when dealing with mass marketing, and inclusion of this argument would have added more depth to your argument

4. Kelsey Voss says:

You brought up some good points. I like how your speech was organized and how you put in a little blurb about what you were going to talk about and why. I think this speech was the best public speaking you’ve delivered all semester :). I haven’t actually seen any of these commercials, but you explained them well enough for me to feel like I had. Maybe you could have talked about whether its more effective to have a ‘music video’ type of commercial, or a regular commercial. I definitely agree that these commercials should have included some type of solution. However, is there a danger with making people feel like the problem can be easily fixed? Maybe the fear of confusion and overwhelming the audience is really effective.
    Also, it definitely is important to remember how children are being exposed to environmental issues like this, so good job.

5. kscrimsh says:

I really liked your presentation a lot! I was so impressed that you did not use any powerpoint or visuals at all, just good old fashioned speaking skills! To me, you seemed really confidant about your issue and it was a very interesting issue at that. The information was interesting, and the delivery was good. Probably the only thing I noticed was that you did rely on your paper in front of you perhaps a bit too much a couple of times, but not very much. That was purely nit-picky! Overall, really good job!

6. ahowland says:

I really enjoyed your presentation. It was a great one to start off with, and you did a good job. I could tell you were a little bit nervous, but you shouldn’t have been, it was great. You maintained good eye contact and kept your speech interesting. However, maybe showing the commericals would have been beneficial too instead of just talking about them. Showing them gives us (the audience) a perspective on what the commericals had to say and everything that went into them. We could have maybe gotten a different opinion about them, and that would have lead a great discussion (even though there wasn’t much time for discussion). It also would have helped us to get to the same conclusions you did about them. Overall you did a great job!

7. Kaley Huston says:

You are a great writer and speaker and this shone throughout the presentation. Although it would have been nice to include visuals, the fact that you could engage me throughout the presentation and help me understand everything you were saying shows your effectiveness as a speaker. Great job!