James Cruz Presentation

James Cruz – Food Waste from Anand Rao on Vimeo.

10 Responses to “James Cruz Presentation”

1. McKenna Lehman says:

your topic was very interesting. i loved your visuals, especially the waste pictures. this really helped the audience connect the numbers you were using with visuals to get the big picture. i liked your use of the easel, but i’m not sure as to why you decided to pick that over powerpoint, is it because you wanted to draw things out? it was interesting but i wasn’t sure if there was a bigger reason for it. you also had many different websites and it was a bit distracting that you had to keep clicking the different tabs to find the right one. however, you did a great job at using a conversational stlye. i would’ve liked to hear more enthusiasm, but overall i could tell that you knew your topic very well. great job!

2. Val says:

Your use of the easel was an interesting way to do visuals, it really reminded me of Demetri Martin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuOaVRerZLY

Great topic choice, not only was it really interesting but all the figures you shared were very startling. I also had no idea that dumpster diving was actually a movement. You use of questions towards the beginning of the presentation was well placed, and if Shaheen wasn’t perpetually playing devils advocate it probably would have worked out better. haha. Great impromptu speaking technique, you seemed very well versed in your material. The visuals you provided in the powerpoint were very powerful. Overall you seemed very comfortable and effectively engaged your audience. You should try to avoid qualifying statements like “I think” or “I believe” or “I think he is trying to say”, just state things. To qualify everything beforehand lessens the impact of it. You only did this once or twice, so not a big concern.

You did a really great job of looking at different angles of this issue, from economics to environmental concerns to world hunger issues. Even within these categories you addressed the viewpoints of many different people who this issue touches. I thought this really strengthened your presentation and put the problem on a large scale.

3. Tori Wong says:

This is a great topic that many people, including myself in many respects, are just completely ignorant to. I think it’s cool that your visual representation of environmentalism (way back when in the beginning of this course) really acted as an introduction to your final project. NICE WORK!
    You did a great job of defining unusual or commonly mis-defined terms like food waste, and freeganism, and really related it all to us. The easel was a really creative, but pretty risky move because the distraction of flipping pages definitely could have taken away from your presentation, but you totally rocked it. I think you could have organized the electronic visuals a little better so you wouldn’t have to continuously scan through your online tabs, and maybe even condense all your multimedia into one window to prevent distractions.
    I didn’t really understand how lower the demand for food would help other countries malnutrition, and would have liked for you to spend more time explaining that concept. And, the presentation layout was a little confusing jumping back and forth from background to text, analysis, to text, to examples, to more analysis…but you did a great job of using pathos, logos and ethos to dissect your text! Nice.

ps. i think demetri martin was the goal 🙂

4. Brian Brown says:

How you presented the material is exactly how I thought you would be a presenter. You care a lot about the topic and it made it a lot more easier to listen and focus in on the problem of food waste. The drawings were all good and effective. The only thing I would not have done is put sentences or anything more then one or two big words. I could barely read what you wrote. Also, good twig use

5. willbennett2012 says:

I have to say for some reason the use of the easel made me feel like your presentation connected to the whole freeganism thing. Something about the hand drawn visual thing made me draw a connection there, which was really effective. I feel like if the guy who wrote the book was watching he would have liked that you hadn’t used pp. Really cool text, which I hadn’t heard of before. I liked the way you broke down the text, and especially like that you criticized it. Twig as pointer = very cool as well. I agree with Brian on that and also on the sentences comment.

6. Kelly Horvath says:

I really enjoyed the presentation especially with the use of the easel. Although it consisted of simple drawings, it was well planned out and both entertaining and interesting. I also enjoyed the topic because it definitely is important in the world today and applies to college students, for instance when we eat at the dining hall or any of the other provided dining areas. You analyzed the text well and it was important how you addressed the credibility and the fact that the author failed to talk more about what could be done to fix the problem. Also, you presented the idea well from different aspects while still clearly describing your views and the author’s. Great presentation, you kept the audience interested and well-informed on the topic of food waste.

7. Kaley Huston says:

James, great presentation. You developed a distinctive and personal dialogue with the audience, which allowed your points and personal advocacy to get across. You were the only one who used a twig or personally-drawn illustrations so bravo for that! Agree with Brian that less is more with wordiness when it comes to presentations. Also kind of disappointed you didn’t start dancing, a la “Footloose”.

8. Sara Zolnick says:

I thought this was a really good presentation! you really knew what you were talking about and have obviously done your research. i really liked how you used a power point, websites, and the sketch pad to help give us important information and get your point across.
    however, from where i was sitting, i couldn’t really see anything on the sketch pad. i would just suggest drawing them bigger next time and maybe putting the pad on a table to make sure that everyone can see it.
    you did a great job in explaining the rhetorical significance with pathos, logos, and ethos. so overall, very good job!

9. Jaclyn says:

I liked how you used the flip book instead of power point because it definitely distinguished your presentation from the other presentations. Your topic looked at a huge problem that we can only imagine the numbers for, and in addition to that we are all producers of this. The great thing about this is that the change can start right in this classroom, I know after the final I went and took the cookies I brought and gave them to friends that I knew would not let them go to waste because I know I didn’t have tim to eat cookies. So overall the impact of you presentation started right there in the classroom.

I enjoy how you don’t just promote your topic but you look at the text critically, you don’t always play mr. nice guy. That is good cause it really shows that you cut every aspect of the environmental rhetoric up.

The twenty percent of greenhouse emissions come from food production I found wasa huge number, not only do we waste fifty percent of food, but it produces these co2 emissions. Solving this problem could help us take great steps into making the environment a more protected place.

When you go into the economics of supermarkets I see the significance of mentioning this but I see that the numbers were supposed to be interpreted as alarming, but I am not a very good person in understanding economics, so I could not really digest the full meaning. Maybe when it comes to this, mentioning an example outside of the environment considering your audience is in a communication class, not an economic class it might be beneficial to break this example down to explain what this means in by paraphrasing. I know for me t would have made a much bigger impact if i understood what it meant.

The fact that if we lesson the production of food it would also cost less which could clearly help us now where we are economically, and when people sometimes really can’t afford food on a daily basis.

The ten pages of what we can do I think even though it doesn’t present an in depth solution it keeps in precise, and illustrates that what we can do to make the issue go away is so simple you don’t need eleven pages on it just ten. This problem can be simply fixed in my mind if we all acknowledged it and worked together, and consumers calculated what really is enough food to produce.

I found it interesting when you showed the recording and depict4ed to us where the author’s credibility really stands in relation to the public. The idea that if he was seen as more credible, even though everyone knows he is, if he is able to construct a stronger text his information could really make a difference, the effectiveness is really well shown here.

Things you can maybe include in your presentation to help provide more a foundation is publication date, a brief description of the table of contents so we can have an idea of where he would be taking us, or even a list on your flip chart. Economics is a really important factor of this environmental issue so maybe it would make your presentation stronger if you really were able to break down the economics into an economics for dummies because if a book like that existed it would be on my desk 🙂 Overall great job, interesting presentation, and it impacted me to this differently about how i buy and eat food.